guix-devel

Re: What's needed to get things building for i586-gnu (the hurd) post co

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: What's needed to get things building for i586-gnu (the hurd) post core-updates?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 17:55:20 +0200

Hi Ludo and Chris,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello!
>
> Probably the main issue is that childhurds now fail to boot:
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/62307#23
>
> We can still build “new” i586-gnu binaries on an “old” childhurd, of
> course, but to me that’s doing that is less of a priority.

[1] should fix this.  We have at least three important failures
regarding native compilation now:

- coreutils doesn't build.  This is because our bootstrap glibc doesn't
  contain all the kernel headers, and coreutils tries to use some of
  them directly.  This should be fixable by adding an additional
  bootstrap input for the Hurd with the missing kernel sources, I'm
  trying to get one right now.

  While discussing with janneke, we also figured out that
  coreutils-boot0 was probably unneeded as it's only used to rm a file
  in an origin later on that could be removed with pure Guile.  That
  would be a world rebuild though so let's leave that for later.

- m4 and findutils both have some failing tests, and they seem to be
  crashing.  I haven't investigated this yet.

[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63501

--
Josselin Poiret