guix-devel

Overruling and blocking

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Overruling and blocking
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 22:12:40 +0200

Hi!

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> skribis:

> Op 12-06-2023 om 03:17 schreef Maxim Cournoyer:

[...]

>>> Actually, I started out with the non-gradual approach, but that was
>>> overruled by Ludo', IIRC.
>> Did you perhaps meant to say that it was disagreed with, or at worst
>> "blocked by"?
>
> Yes.  Overruling is a form of blocking, and blocking by authority
> (whether de facto or de jure) is overruling.

[...]

> In my experience, Ludovic often doesn't actually practice that, though.
> For example, the thread of the patch you sent at
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/51427> is a good example of this, pretty
> much everyone (except Ludo') agreed that the provided patch is good.

I take note of your criticism (even if it’s a bit hard on me after all
these years working with people).

For the record, I do think that, willingly or not, I am (and some other
people too) in a position to encourage or discourage initiatives: by
expressing enthusiasm, skepticism, or not responding.  When I foresee
technical issues about proposals, I try to be explicit about what I
think those issues might be.

I’d be happy to read suggestions on how to improve on that.

Ludo’.