guix-devel

Re: shepherd respawn frequency

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: shepherd respawn frequency
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 20:25:10 +0000

> We could do that. It never occurred to me that this is something one
> would want to have though. My reasoning is that if you mark a service
> as respawnable, then you really want it to be respawned as soon as it
> fails, not 5 seconds later.

there are a large number of different applications that users may want to run
as a service. i'm pretty sure a nontrivial subset of them can get into such an
error loop.

this specific one is the Bee client of ethswarm.org. multiple threads are
active during its startup. one of them is to connect to the blockchain node.
when it's unreachable, then eventually it gives up and quits.

arguably, it would be a better behavior to keep trying indefinitely instead of
quitting, but let's assume that its behavior is practically beyond our control.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39