guix-devel

Re: Guix / Nix Benchmarks

From: Wilko Meyer
Subject: Re: Guix / Nix Benchmarks
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 00:02:40 +0200

> I’ve found download speeds to vary wildly dependent on where you are.
> From an AWS EC2 instance in Frankfurt we get about 50MiB/s download
> speeds from ci.guix.gnu.org, whereas some in France get sub 1MiB/s.

So, this could be an ISP related issue, e.g. maybe an issue regarding
peering capacities? As far as I know there have been historical issues
in this direction between commerical ISPs (namely DTAG being the one I'm
aware of) and educational networks such as X-WiN, so (without having any
deeper knowledge on Guixes situation on this) this could apply here as
well?

As ci.guix.gnu.org is hosted at AS210482/the Max-Delbrueck-Centrum, I
would guess that there could be something similar going on causing this,
e.g. commerical ISP trying to enforce their double payed traffic
strategies and the educational networks where ci.guix.gnu.org is hosted
(rightfully) not participating in that/not having direct peering with
these ISPs ASNs?

Regards,

Wilko Meyer