guix-devel

Kdump

From: Christina O'Donnell
Subject: Kdump
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 13:36:25 +0100

Hi guix and guixesses,

I'm still enjoying my guix machine crashing every other week despite changing all the software and half the hardware. So I'm trying to get kdump working so I can get to the real reason behind it. However I see that kdump-tools haven't been packaged yet. I see this as an opportunity for me to contribute to Guix, but it'll be my first time.

- How interested would people be in me packaging kdump and related tools?

- Is there a reason why it's not there already?

- Has it been tried before?

The scope seems to be around 3-4 packages and a system service. Does that sound about right or could there be more I'm missing?

On Debian there's:

crash/testing,now 8.0.2-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
  kernel debugging utility, allowing gdb like syntax

kdump-tools/testing,now 1:1.8.1 amd64 [installed]
  scripts and tools for automating kdump (Linux crash dumps)

libkdumpfile-dev/testing 0.5.1-1 amd64
  libkdumpfile development libraries and header files

libkdumpfile-doc/testing,testing 0.5.1-1 all
  Kernel coredump file access (documentation)

libkdumpfile10/testing 0.5.1-1 amd64
  Kernel coredump file access

python3-libkdumpfile/testing 0.5.1-1 amd64
  Python bindings for libkdumpfile

I'd want to package all of these except the python bindings. I see that kexec-tools is already in guix which is good!

Is this a sensible direction?

Kind regards,
 - Christina