guix-devel

Re: Guix system init but for guix home

From: (
Subject: Re: Guix system init but for guix home
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 20:40:53 +0100

Christian Miller <miller.christian@proton.me> writes:
> Basically my idea would be, that I am on the live ISO and run guix system init
> [...] and after that I would run guix home init home.scm /mnt or something
> like
> that.  Now if I reboot in to the actual system, I have my complete setup with
> EXWM and Emacs completely configured and ready to go.

Something that would cover this use case be a HOME-ENVIRONMENT field for
user-accounts in /etc/config.scm:

  (user-account
   (name "paren")
   (home-environment
    ...))

which could either be a file-like that evaluates to a Scheme file that
returns a HOME-ENVIRONMENT object, or a HOME-ENVIRONMENT by itself:

  ;; with local-file
  (home-environment
   (local-file
    (string-append (dirname (get-current-filename))
                   "/home-paren.scm")))

  ;; with home-environment
  (home-environment
   (home-environment