guix-devel

Re: Relaxing the restrictions for store item names

From: Nguyễn Gia Phong
Subject: Re: Relaxing the restrictions for store item names
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 16:31:35 +0900

On 2023-08-24 at 10:16+03:00, MSavoritias wrote:
> "(" <paren@disroot.org> writes:
> > Eidvilas Markevičius <markeviciuseidvilas@gmail.com> writes:
> > > with a name that contains non-Latin characters in it
> > > (e.g., "Naršytuvas" by Raštija [2]).
> >
> > I think we should stick to ASCII characters in package names,
> > since it's a bit difficult to type `guix install naršytuvas`
> > for those who don't have keyboards with the 'š' character.
>
> And some people don't have an english keyboard so its harder to type
> english characters. Thats not a reason to exclude people in either
> direction :)

I think the distinction must be made here between Guix and GuixSD.

On 2023-08-24 at 10:16+03:00, MSavoritias wrote:
> I was not aware that its not possible to have Unicode characters
> in store names but that is a bug to me at the very least
> (and exclusionary of course). We should open a bug report
> and work on fixing the bug.

The packaging software should support full localization,
but the distro should target the least common denominator.
AFAIK most keyboard layouts cover ASCII alphanumerics
but the reverse is not true.

Inclusion goes both ways.  Imagine trying to type my name
to fix a broken install that only boots to run level 3.