guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 10:35:01 +0200

Hi everyone,

Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> writes:

> I have no love for Git's CLI (that's one of the reasons the email-based
> workflow grates on me; I use magit for everything), but I found it
> interesting that here you present a valid argument against having to
> learn Git in one way, and elsewhere people are making arguments for
> learning the git send-email command. I draw no conclusions from that,
> but it caught my eye!
>
> FWIW, the git command you could use is:
>
> git log --grep=foo -- the/file/path.scm

Just to add my 2 cents, any editor with decent support for git
(eg. emacs with magit) will have git blame and git log for regions
support baked in, I regularly use that to look at changes.  I don't
think I've ever used git grep with ChangeLog style commits.  Sometimes I
like reading commit explanations for complicated commits, but I feel
like they're a bit orthogonal to the requirements that the ChangeLog
format imposes on us.

With the git tools we have, I'm not sure the ChangeLog format is really
needed, it dates back to an era where they didn't exist.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret