guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: MSavoritias
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:53:55 +0300

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 at 18:39, Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> 2. Remember the email address (it might seem silly unless you have forms
>> of dyslexia. is it guix-patches? or patches-guix? Wait, what was I doing?)
>> 3. And then the whole deal with what to do with follow ups.
>
> For what it is worth, I am using Emacs-Notmuch for reading emails and it
> provides the key “c G” for stashing the email address.  For instance,
> applying to your message:
>
> --to="Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com>"
> --to="guix-devel@gnu.org" --cc="guix-devel@gnu.org"
> --in-reply-to="547c097a-d805-9a55-11d9-b0434327f89d@gmail.com"
>
> Then, I am able to paste as argument for git-send-email or else.  Well,
> it reduces the opportunity for a typo.
>
> That’s said…
>
>> I wrote some elisp to one-key apply patches from GNUS, but I guess my
>> point is: not everyone can do that. How are we to expect more
>> contributors if that, or something similar, is the barrier to entry?
>
> …I agree that Debbugs is not the best system for managing patches.  Many
> of us are ending with some custom helpers for working around the
> annoyances.  And that seems an indicator that Debbugs is not the best
> fit.

Do you know if there are any plans to write a scheme bug/patching
system? Because looking a bit into it, it doesn't seem like its that
actively developed so maybe we would be better served by one in scheme.
Or Sourcehut of course as somebody wrote in another email.
Since not much would change with sr.ht anyways.

MSavoritias