guix-devel

Re: Updates for Go

From: wolf
Subject: Re: Updates for Go
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 17:41:28 +0200

On 2023-08-22 13:14:05 +0000, Attila Lendvai wrote:
> > each package for those two to work properly. Also, while having pinned
> > versions of dependencies upstream seems like the consensus, I'm not sure
> > we'd like doing that, be it for the exponential CI work that would be
> > required.
>

> not arguing either way, FWIW:
>
> - rumour has it that golang compiles very fast, and

Usually people claiming this assume there is already a compiler cache present.
The compiler heavily caches the work done.

Sure, golang compiles faster than C++ for example, but anecdotal data point: at
$DAYJOB we had to start persisting the compiler cache to make CI fast enough.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.