guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 20:22:24 +0200

Am Mon, Sep 04, 2023 at 10:23:45AM +0000 schrieb Attila Lendvai:
>  - large backlog. contributions somtimes even fall through the cracks.

My impression/hope is that the recent introduction of teams leads to
improvements on this front. I am on the science and texlive teams and
have been getting emails from the patch submission workflow; so these
end up in my inbox and I feel responsible for them. As a consequence,
I have been reviewing more commits recently.

For this to work, we would need a 100% coverage of modules by teams
(a necessary, not a sufficient condition...). A consequence of my
focussing on email is that I essentially ignore everything that does
not come in by email (well, I also look at the green badges in QA
from time to time). So, my impression/hope is that also QA leads to
improvements.

This does not solve the problem of finite time and competence, however.

Andreas