guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 11:01:09 -0600

On 9/5/23 10:01 AM, Simon Tournier wrote:

Well, somehow, I consider the commit message format similarly as coding
style.  We can discuss which one is better than the other when at the
end it only reflects some artificial preferences and for the sake of any
project one needs to be arbitrarily picked.  Why not ChangeLog?

The distinction I draw is that I can usually run a linter against a coding style.

I don't care very much what the standard for commit messages is other than if it has an expectation of structure, I be able to run a tool to tell me if it's wrong.

In other words, the overhead isn't "I don't like this standard", it's "I can't find a way to reliably adhere to the standard".