guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: kiasoc5
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 00:16:35 +0200

Hello,

On 2023-09-06 04:49, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
Hi Katherine,

Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> writes:

On 9/5/23 10:01 AM, Simon Tournier wrote:

Well, somehow, I consider the commit message format similarly as coding
style.  We can discuss which one is better than the other when at the
end it only reflects some artificial preferences and for the sake of any
project one needs to be arbitrarily picked.  Why not ChangeLog?

The distinction I draw is that I can usually run a linter against a
coding style.

I don't care very much what the standard for commit messages is other
than if it has an expectation of structure, I be able to run a tool to
tell me if it's wrong.

In other words, the overhead isn't "I don't like this standard", it's
"I can't find a way to reliably adhere to the standard".

'git log' should provide ample examples.  The format is not strict, and
it doesn't matter overly as long as it conveys a summary of the changes
accurately; it is meant for us humans.  The format is described
summarily in the GNU Standards document; to read it, you can run:

  guix shell standards info-reader -- info '(standards) ChangeLog'

Would be good to distill these conversations to the manual.

It would also be nice to add a section to the cookbook on explaining the parts of the commit message as it relates to Guix as a quick reference instead of grepping around for several wordings of the same action. From what I remember there's at least these parts to mention:

- including the package name and version on upgrades
- any changes to phases
- any changes to new input style, G-expressions, removal of trailing #t