guix-devel

Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 10:09:19 +0200

Hi!

Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> writes:

> Am Donnerstag, dem 07.09.2023 um 09:12 -0700 schrieb Vagrant Cascadian:
>> I am much more comfortable with the "Fixes" convention of:
>>
>>   Fixes: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/NNN

OK, I understand Vagrant's concerns: we need a _namespaced_ URI, but
there is no need that URI is the URL of **one** of our current web
interfaces, why not the other one? ;-)

IMO this is an implementation detail we can easily fix once we find a
consensus on introducing this requirement in the Guix guidelines on
committing.

> I like the idea, but we should also consider the bugs.gnu.org address
> here as well as the convention of putting it into angular brackets.  In
> fact, I might even prefer it if the convention was
>   Fixes: Bug description <link>
> where bug description is a (possibly empty) name for the bug such as
> "Emacs hangs when I press a key" or something.

I agree that an (optional) bug description might be useful (could also
be automatically added by some cool etc/committer.scm funcion?)

I propose:

 Fixes: [optional bug description] <namespace:#bug-number>

where namespace is the package name, in our case "guix"; fo example:

 Fixes: Emacs hangs when I press a key <guix:#123456789>

WDYT?

> As for when to send it, remember that we already send a bunch of mails
> to guix-commits@gnu.org as our commit hook?  I think it shouldn't be
> too hard to search for the fixes line and send it to debbugs control.

Do you please know whare to get that scripts, just to have a quick look
and understand how we could eventually add a function for automatic bug
closing?

Thanks! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo