guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:19:47 +0200

Hello,

(I find it difficult to efficiently follow this thread and to keep up to
date with reading it, so please forgive me if someone else already
addressed my considerations)

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> « For which contributors do we want to/can we decrease the cognitive
> overhead? », so I read it as: do we discuss about someone who is already
> playing guitar or someone who is knowing nothing about music.
>
> We already have the answer: we are speaking about someone who already
> plays guitar (a skilled programmer).

There are many ways to contribute to Guix:

- Project Management
- Art
- Documentation
- Packages
- Programming
- System Administration
- Test and Bug Reports
- Translation

(https://guix.gnu.org/en/contribute/)

and just a few of them requires to be a skilled programmer :-)

But you are absolutely right, we are talking about someone who already
have:

(skill
 (or project-management
     user-interface-design
     graphical-design
     multimedia-design
     technical-documentation-writing
     guix-programming
     guile-programming
     program-debugging
     system-administration
     translation-of-tachnical-documents))

I'd also say that other "low level" skills are dependencies for some or
all of the above mentioned skills, like: git-dvcs-usage, text-mua-usage

As already mentioned, a conditio sine qua non (hard dependency) to
contribute to Guix (as to as many many other international distributed
projects) is to have "high level" skill named
manage-communications-in-EN.

Last but not least, a "meta skill" is that you accept to do all of this
as a volunteer in a large group of volunteers, with very few /direct/
rewards - the most important one being to improve the best ever free
software distro [1] - and many many issues to address...

Quite a lot of skills to be able to contribute, I'd say.

Furthermore, not a skill but another requirement not to be
underestimated is you need a certain amount of time and unfortunately
many people can only subtract that from their (often already scarce)
free time.

Probably we should find a way to /introduce/ old and new contributors to
this concepts since I feel someway sometimes they are forgotten or
underestimated.

[...]

> Somehow, now we have to discuss about specific task, task by task, and
> propose how to improve.  Survey is one next action for collecting
> data.

My 2 cents: surveys should be _carefully_ designed or the resulting data
would be useless at best, misleading at worst

[...]

> The improvement had been the removal of the friction by switching to
> some web interface.  Now, the process is probably not easy for people
> like me that are not used to web interface, although interacting with
> web interface is a simpler task than configuring some tools for
> editing translation files.

There is a weblate CLI we should probably package in Guix:
https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/wlc.html

I just hope that changing from a git-commit-based approach to a
weblate-tool approach have helped find many more active translators:
https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/guix/#information

> we are far from the initial discussion. ;-)

Sorry: OT... OT?!? :-O

> I do not see “the practice of controlling access to information,
> advanced levels of study, elite sections of society, etc“.  Well, are
> you French? ;-) Because I feel we are discussing unrelated points
> emerging although we are agree on the core and we just detail tiny
> variations of the same thing. :-)

If you want I can add a little bit of Italian attitide at discussing in
detail tiny variations of the same thing :-O... just joking, eh! ;-)

[...]

Ciao! Gio'

[1] well, I'm biased :-D

--