guix-devel

Re: Implementing the guix-dameon in Guile

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Implementing the guix-dameon in Guile
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:44:46 -0700

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 9:29 AM Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:

> Rewrites are risky because you only get the value right at the end,
> therefore the priority is to get a minimal but viable implementation in
> Guile that can be switched to

Sounds exciting! I would like to help with testing.

The transformation toward a Guile daemon is a point of consistency and
pride for the project and therefore unlikely to be second-guessed or
reverted. My recommendation is to replace the daemon gradually—working
from (apply system* (command-line) downward—and mainline your
incremental changes as quickly as possible.

Thanks for doing this!

Kind regards,
Felix