guix-devel

Re: Swineherd: Guix System container manager

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Swineherd: Guix System container manager
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 11:19:55 +0200

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

>> Of course the Swineherd is also available as a Guix package called
>> “swineherd”.
>
> Hum, I did (or adding guile):
>
>     guix time-machine -q -- shell swineherd
>
> Then I do not know what to do.  What are the basic steps for testing it?

There are no executables.

The basic steps for setting things up are in the included manual.

You’ll first need to set up a root disk for all your disposable
container home directories.  See the “Getting Started” chapter in the
manual on instructions how to get this set up for testing.

You then launch a new Shepherd process with the included
shepherd-config.scm (it’s at $out/share/swineherd/shepherd-config.scm),
which registers the “swineherd” and “swineherd-http-api” services, and
starts the former.

You can then try the Shepherd actions documented in the “Command Line
Interface” section of the manual.

I haven’t tried loading the included shepherd-config.scm into my PID 1,
because I don’t need it and I don’t want to freeze my PID 1 due to bugs
:) But with a properly set GUILE_LOAD_PATH (including the Swineherd
modules) it should also work with PID 1.

--
Ricardo