guix-devel

Re: Implementing the guix-dameon in Guile

From: Mekeor Melire
Subject: Re: Implementing the guix-dameon in Guile
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:46:14 +0000

I think this has been talked about for a while [1], but I want to make it happen. Currently the guix-daemon is still similar to the nix-daemon that it was forked from, and is implemented in C++. I think that a Guile implementation of the guix-daemon will simplify Guix and better support hacking on and around the daemon to add new features and move Guix forward.

Yippie! I'm really excited about this; and convinced that it'll greatly impact
and improve the Guix project.

I'd like to hear what people think about which direction the implementation should go, and what features they'd like to see.

Here's a feature-request (in the long-run). But I'm not sure if I understand
correctly that a new, improved Guix-daemon enables us to implement this. Sorry
if I'm wrong. I'd like to be able to step through the build-process of a
package phase-by-phase and see what changed after each phase by looking at the
file-tree.