guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:18:16 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 at 23:19, Sarthak Shah <shahsarthakw@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that it should not be very hard to create a user interface (web,
> ncurses or GUI) that searches for a package's location (the package record
> has a field that accommodates this) and then displays it, which the user
> can then edit.

A part already exists:

    https://toys.whereis.みんな/
    https://toys.whereis.みんな/?search=hello

Then click to location leads to:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/base.scm?id=master#n90

and note it also works for packages in some channels:

https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-hpc/-/blob/master/inria/mpi.scm#L26

However, that’s not possible to edit.  It would appears to me hard to
implement.  Because I do not see how it would be possible to implement
some edition features without a login – some login management is always
painful from my tiny experience.  Therefore, if you think “it should not
be very hard to create a user interface” that fulfills your description,
then I am sure many of us will appreciate to run your
implementation. :-p

Cheers,
simon