guix-devel

Thank you for using Emacs

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Thank you for using Emacs
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:10:37 -0400

MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me> writes:

I go to the manual to learn package management, https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Package-Management

Apparently i have to either use the terminal or something called emacs. If I follow the guide located here: https://emacs-guix.gitlab.io/website/manual/latest/emacs-guix.html#Installation

It says to install emacs-guix. Okay. So apparently it is an Emacs thing, whatever that means. And when you start Emacs after installing the package, you are going to end up with Emacs in its plain form. Unfamiliar keybindings, no autocomplete, etc. Well thats no to Emacs then. The other thing is the terminal apparently. Horrible, but at least it works.

You make a very good point, being exposed to Emacs for the very first time in this way would be a terrible experience and listing alternative options would be very beneficial.

However, I would just like to say "Thank you!" to everyone here for using Emacs in the manual.

For my entire career in hardware engineering, I have felt like an outcast for using Emacs and being passionate about free software. When everyone else on a team or in a company or organization uses proprietary software only, it is very isolating and career limiting to stay committed to the free software and hardware movements.

So while you may not win any popularity contests by using Emacs in the manual, just know that it is very much appreciated by some of us.