guix-devel

Re: guix QA "fails to process revision"

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: guix QA "fails to process revision"
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 18:12:16 +0100

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

> For a submitted patch, if Guix QA "fails to process revision" as in this log
> https://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/job/49399
>
> [ 32/ 40] compiling... 60.0% of 20 filesmadvise failed: Cannot allocate memory
> builder for `/gnu/store/j3hy5gymlfrdrhm8aj2brnsa2pix16n2-guix-home.drv'
> failed due to signal 11 (Segmentation fault)
> @ build-failed /gnu/store/j3hy5gymlfrdrhm8aj2brnsa2pix16n2-guix-home.drv
> - 1 builder for
> `/gnu/store/j3hy5gymlfrdrhm8aj2brnsa2pix16n2-guix-home.drv' failed due
> to signal 11 (Segmentation fault)
> cannot build derivation
> `/gnu/store/yh45c2z642xv2m752i3mj4lahj7q4qxm-guix-cli.drv': 1
> dependencies couldn't be built
>
> what can be done about it?

I think in this case the machine (beid) was short on memory, it has 32GB
of RAM and 16GB of swap.

I've reduced the max processes for the data service processing new
revisions which should help, but there's probably more that can be done.

There looks to be regular spikes in the memory used by the data service
process, so it would be good to look in to why that happens, and what
can be done to avoid it.