guix-devel

Re: WebAssembly target for Guix (Showcase)

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: WebAssembly target for Guix (Showcase)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 19:12:42 -0700

On Tue, Sep 19 2023, zamfofex wrote:

> I’d love to know what y’all might think about it!

That's super exciting! I do not plan to run GNU Guix inside a WASM
runtime (or in a browser) but I would like to experiment with WASM
versions of some of our packages.

My interest was sparked by the extraordinary claims about the upcoming
Hoot, which generates WASM from GNU Guile. The resulting binaries are
extremely small ("970 bytes") and "the Hoot-compiled WebAssembly ... is
five times faster than native Guile!" [1]

In response, I contributed packages for the "micro runtime" [2] and for
WasmEdge [3] but neither has been accepted into Guix just yet.

Kind regards
Felix

[1]
https://spritely.institute/news/scheme-to-wasm-lambdas-recursion.html