guix-devel

Re: GUI for Guix

From: jbranso
Subject: Re: GUI for Guix
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:08:22 +0000

September 30, 2023 10:09 AM, "Adam Faiz" <adam.faiz@disroot.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> There are currently 4(maybe more?) different approaches for a Guix GUI:
> 1. Guix backend for PackageKit (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/17152)
> 2. A GTK program written by Danny Milosavljevic in Guile
> (https://gitlab.com/daym/guix-gui)
> 3. A Qt program written for a non-FSDG distro downstream of Guix System
> (https://git.pantherx.org/development/applications/px-software)
> 4. Emacs-Guix, currently broken (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55013)
>
> Which of these should be worked on? I tried packaging guix-gui, but it
> doesn't work without the
> workaround mentioned in the README.
> I think packaging it should wait until the guile-gi bug[1] is fixed.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/spk121/guile-gi/issues/96

I believe that there is a web interface for this as well that Dave Thompson
wrote. Anyone have a
link to that source code?

I encourage someone to write a guix specific channel that packages one of
these, so that it is easy
for anyone to try to use these tools. Maybe the #whereiseveryone community can
include it in
guixrus channel. Or maybe a guix blog, or TODO list that mentions these tools.