guix-devel

Re: Fw: Question regarding qmk firmware

From: John Kehayias
Subject: Re: Fw: Question regarding qmk firmware
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 01:30:11 +0000

Hello,

On Sun, Oct 08, 2023 at 10:34 AM, Ekaitz Zarraga wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to forward this message to guix-devel because it is a clear
> case of some (actually good) technical decision affecting users in
> unexpected ways.
>
> Now, after the change, a user might run `guix search avr-toolchain`
> and find nothing. Same for ARM.

In this case would it have helped to deprecate the package? Or can we
(ab)use this as a way to notify a user that either something has
changed (use a procedure now) or that a package you might expect at
this name is available some other way?

> This is a shame, because we have toolchains for those architectures
> but converting them to a function that returns the package leave many
> users that are not used to read guix's code thinking those packages
> are gone.
>
> Maybe we should create some kind of fake packages that show up in
> `guix show` and `guix search` that have a short tutorial on how to use
> packages that come from a function like these.
> This way providing the same interface for every package regardless
> where they are coming from.

At the very least this should be documented, perhaps adding to
information about the kernel in the manual and generally
customizing/building your own.

I like the idea in general of making sure people can find things and
if they are not where you'd expect not having a hard time to find
them. Some tips in a package description about how to use or where to
look in the manual for information would be good, but I don't think
we'd want to get too verbose here, adding another maintenance point
that should be proper documentation (or cookbook).

As an example, we don't need to always say how to add udev rules from
a package, but letting users know (if it is not obvious from the name)
that rules are included and should be added to a system configuration
for something to work (pointing to the manual about udev service) I
think can be helpful. I don't know though, I guess the package's
documentation itself needs to tell a user how to use it, and then one
looks in the Guix manual how to add udev rules.

Anyway, perhaps I run on a tangent here.

John