guix-devel

Re: Making linux-libre@6.5 the default kernel

From: Ada Stevenson
Subject: Re: Making linux-libre@6.5 the default kernel
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 07:20:34 +0000

Hi!

Hi Leo! :)

The reason is that I haven't had enough
time to make these changes lately, and for a while I have been the only
person updating the kernel in Guix.
That makes a lot of sense. I had no idea - the reason I came to the mailing list was to figure out what everyone's doing, and that's proved very fruitful. Thank you for all of your work :)

So, to make things clear, the delay in making 6.5 the default kernel is in part because you lack sufficient support in the case that things go wrong or some urgent change needs to be pushed? That makes sense, and I'm sorry it is this way. :/

I'd like for more people to join the effort, and there's some info about
that subject here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-10/msg00079.html
I don't think I'll be of much help - I'm pretty unfamiliar with kernel configuration, and I currently have a few Guix packages that I'm working on that are taking up most of my Guix time.

However, I wish you the best, and I do hope that you're able to muster some extra hands from the community. During the university holidays I'll see if I'm able to lend some help - even if it isn't full-time!

Thanks!

Ada (adanska)