guix-devel

Re: Need people to help with kernel updates

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Need people to help with kernel updates
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:44:47 -0400

On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 02:15:41PM +0200, Wilko Meyer wrote:
> seems to be good again at least, as in:
>
> - it builds locally
> - QA[1] looks okayish as far as I can tell (no lint warnings, build
>   statuses look good on more common ISA)

I agree, this already counts as "good".

I pushed your patches as 06acda9715711c406f30b3a314387002244d8792

> even though we still seem to have partial build failures on some
> architectures:
>
> - x86_64-linux and aarch64-linux build completely fine according to QA
> - without any failures or unknown status
> - i686-linux has mostly succeeding builds, 5 unknown
> - armhf-linux has one failing and 18 unknown

Things are even better since you wrote!

The only failure is of a quasi-obsolete wireguard package on i686.
Newer kernels don't require this package to provide an out-of-tree
Wireguard driver.

I see that ppc64le is still "unknown", which in this case means that the
builds are scheduled but haven't been performed yet.

Overall, the fact that qa.guix.gnu.org is successfully building across
so many architectures means that we have a strong foundation for the
future of building kernel packages in Guix.

Thanks you for taking the initiative to write the patches and manage QA
for this latest round of updates!

I'm curious, now that we've done a round, do you have any thoughts about
the work so far?