guix-devel

Re: Proposal: Differentiate products more clearly (Cycle 01)

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Proposal: Differentiate products more clearly (Cycle 01)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 21:52:58 +0000

Hi Simon,

El 12/10/23 a las 8:07, Simon Tournier escribió:
Hi,

On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 at 00:15, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

This is a proposal to help differentiate Guix, the package manager,
from Guix System.
I agree with this proposal.

For what it is worth, I remember a discussion past year at 10 Years of
Guix with researchers – interested by reproducible research and not
really knowing what Guix is – and after some search engine queries, they
ended on the website guix.gnu.org.  From the information there, 1. they
did not get what Guix is and 2. they had the feeling that Guix is not
for their tasks.  Your proposal really helps here!

Glad to hear that :)

Mockup:
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/downloads/temp/guix-website-2023-09-21-LF/home-page.pdf
Well, comments.

1.
Instead of replicate or reproduce that have different meaning depending
on communities, I prefer to use the weak-defined ’redeploy’ which cover the
idea.

     “and make these eaiser to redeploy in one or many devices, and over time.”

For instance, the word “replicate” could confuse this community who
expect the word “reproduce”.

“What’s the difference between replication and reproduction?“
https://rescience.github.io/faq/

Well, for instance:

“Reproducibility vs. Replicability: A Brief History of a Confused Terminology”

Thanks, I'm taking note of this.

2.
I would not write “without superuser privileges” since you need at least
once – for installing.  Hum, I have no alternative wording.

Right. I've been living in the Guix System for so long now...

3.
I would not write “50 years later”.  Instead, just “Get the same
environment in the future”.

The reason I used the specific number was to make it clearer that Guix should allow reproducible outputs for generations to come, instead of just some near future.

4.
How to go from “Guix Package Manager” to “Guix System” and vice-versa?

I don't think I understand. Do you mean how would people go from the package manager home page to the operating system page?

Looking forward to your comments,
Well, from my perspective, your proposal makes clearer information about
the different Guix.
Thanks for checking it out, Simon :)