guix-devel

Re: [RFC]: Skipping rust crate tests by default

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: [RFC]: Skipping rust crate tests by default
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:51:41 -0400

Hi Efraim!

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

[...]

>> > error: unnecessary parentheses around index expression
>> >   -->
>> > /tmp/guix-build-rust-nalgebra-0.21.1.drv-0/nalgebra-0.21.1/src/linalg/convolution.rs:49:53
>> > 49 |                         conv[i] += self[u] * kernel[(i - u)];
>> >    |                                                     ^     ^
>> > help: remove these parentheses
>> > 49 -                         conv[i] += self[u] * kernel[(i - u)];
>> > 49 +                         conv[i] += self[u] * kernel[i - u];
>> >
>> > error: aborting due to 2 previous errors
>> >
>> > error: doctest failed, to rerun pass `--doc`
>> >

>> > crates.io lists this version as being released more than 3 years ago and
>> > targeting the 2018 edition of rust. When built with our current
>> > rust-1.68.2 the doc test passes but not with 1.70.0.  The current
>> > upstream version of nalgebra is 0.32.3, so it's unlikely that they'd
>> > release a new version with the doc tests fixed, but I haven't contacted
>> > them about it.
>>
>> OK.  Asking in ##rust on libera chat (unofficial channel), I got as
>> suggestion
>> to call 'carge test' with the '--cap-lints=allow' option documented
>> here [0], which should effectively disable just the lint checks, which
>> is better than disabling the full test suite.
>>
>> [0]  https://doc.rust-lang.org/rustc/lints/levels.html
>
> I checked the cargo-build-system and we do actually use
> --cap-lints=allow for building and for testing.

Ah!  It must be something recent, as it was not the case (and still
isn't) when I checked on the master branch.  Or else I fail to see
where/how it's specified.

And nalgebra still fails lint tests with the above --caps-lints=allow
option?  If that's so that'd suggest that packages can enforce their own
settings and that this overrides cargo flags given at the command
line... which sounds like a cargo bug.

--
Thanks,
Maxim