guix-devel

Re: shepherd-action debug help needed

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: shepherd-action debug help needed
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 17:26:03 +0000

> Exit code 127 means "command not found". [1] More information is
> available in stderr (or sometimes stdout) if you can capture it.

but how come binaries are not found when i have the full path for the
commands...?

the install binary is only used to set the umask of the result. without it, a
simple invokation of tar also fails, even without --gzip.

i dug a bit deeper, and it turned out that the SYSTEM call i thought was coming
from guile was rebound by shepherd to point to its own SPAWN-SHELL-COMMAND.
through various complex code paths, it ends up calling fork+exec-command.
SPAWN-SHELL-COMMAND's role is to make the SYSTEM call non-blocking.

as a quick test, i have added a simple (system "ls -l /bin/sh") call to my
action, and that fails, too.

i'll need to add proper logging to shepherd and see what's going wrong. but for
that i need https://issues.guix.gnu.org/61750 merged.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39