guix-devel

Further work on WebAssembly target for Guix

From: zamfofex
Subject: Further work on WebAssembly target for Guix
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 08:51:54 -0300 (BRT)

Hello, Guix! For anyone who might have had interest in it last time, I have
continued working on my WebAssembly cross‐compilation target for Guix, now with
support for the Meson and CMake build systems and also preliminary support for
C++.

Once again, it’s in fairly early stages currently, but it is able to compile
fmtlib and GMP. My hope was to compile daikichi, but it seems it uses various
constructs that are not supported yet (e.g. ‘#include <filesystem>’ is not
supported).

See my changes on https://git.sr.ht/~zamfofex/guix-wasm To try it out, run the
following command. (Though note that it will compile Clang from source!)

      ./pre-inst-env guix build --target=wasm32-unknown-wasi fmt-wasm gmp-wasm

Currently, there are WebAssembly‐specific packages and build systems for fmtlib
and GMP in order to avoid a world rebuild.

Please do let me know what you think about it! I’m open for suggestions and
requests, if anyone feels like this is an interesting endeavor.

This is a follow‐up to
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-09/msg00458.html