guix-devel

Re: Shepherd service logging

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: Shepherd service logging
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 15:39:51 +0000

> Thanks for offering a logging facility! I run a custom Guix and would
> like to test your changes. Is it enough to switch to your 'wip-logging'
> branch in the package declaration? [1] Thanks!

AFAIU that will lead to quite some local recompiling that are not necessary.
you can just set the shepherd package of the shepherd-root-service-type to a
custom package.

e.g. this will use the latest shepherd from the shepherd channel:

(operating-system
  (essential-services
   (modify-services (operating-system-default-essential-services
                     this-operating-system)
     (shepherd-root-service-type
      config =>
      (shepherd-configuration