guix-devel

Re: Why bash-minimal is part of sbcl package

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Why bash-minimal is part of sbcl package
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 11:36:55 -0500

Hi,

Pan Xie <xiepan@skyguard.com.cn> writes:

> Hello
>
> I find this interesting thing but I don't have an explanation. When
> query the "references" of my Gnu Store item "sbcl", it shows that sbcl
> references bash-mininal, as the following output shows:

[...]

> So the question is, which part of sbcl's package definition tells Guix
> it need to add bash-minimal as part of sbcl? Is there a practical
> method to figure that out?

A bunch of core commands such as bash, sed, make etc. are implicitly
included in the build environment by the GNU build systems (which most
other build systems simply extend).

So if there's a bash shebang somewhere, the patch-source-shebang phase
may substitute it to the *native* implicit bash command found in the
environment, thus keeping a reference to it.

That's a bug, as it means bash-minimal should be explicitly added to the
inputs, otherwise when cross-building the package for another
architecture the native bash captured wouldn't be executable on the
target.

--
Thanks,
Maxim