guix-devel

Re: Shutting down qa.guix?

From: Jing
Subject: Re: Shutting down qa.guix?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:38:21 +0900

Hi everyone,

Forgive me for cutting in a conversation like this. I believe qa.guix can still be salvaged: I can host it per gratis, at least temporarily.

I am the admin of repo.jing.rocks, and I own the hardware. The servers are in my bedroom/living room. Adding qa.guix would cost nothing for me.

> As for system administration, is there documentation that people willing to help could look at? Very concrete things like: what services are running on which machines, what do I do if one of them is stuck or if I get this error message, etc.

Yes, docs are important, and I couldn't find one. What kind of spec does qa.guix require to keep operational? I see in the threads:

> Storage is also an issue as beid currently is working with 340G of total storage and that's almost full [..]

I can spare a few terabytes of spinning rust storage. How about RAM and CPU? Does 64 vcpus (AMD EPYC 7773X) and 128GB RAM sound enough? If anyone wants to know to full spec, I can write it later.

Please note that the hardware I own requires non-free firmware, will this be a problem? Also, I'm not a good programmer, I can't maintain any package. I'm still learning Guile syntax and how to adapt to Guix. Someone else would have to work with me to keep the whole system going. Will this be an issue?

For the stability of repo.jing.rocks, please refer to [1] and [2]:

[1] https://mirror-master.debian.org/status/mirror-info/repo.jing.rocks.html
[2] https://archlinux.org/mirrors/jing.rocks/

--
Jing Luo