guix-devel

Re: A different way to build GCC to overcome issues, especially with C++

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: A different way to build GCC to overcome issues, especially with C++ for embedded systems
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 10:56:21 +0100

Hi Jean-Pierre!

The arm-none-eabi target is not finished yet since I'm running into some
issues when building Axoloti which depends on the (gnu packages embedded)
toolchains and I'm trying to migrate it to use `cross-gcc-toolchain` but it is
proving a bit difficult due to search paths but I'm trying to solve it anyway.

These include path problems where exactly the problems which I solved with that
gcc12 and gcc12-cross packages. Let's say that they are a proof-of-concept for
a better way to build GCC, not relying on environment variables for standard
include paths. My gut feeling is that the whole GCC version chain starting in
(gnu packages commencement) should be build this way, and in the end also the
cross-gcc-toolchain would not have these issues. However, I think that would be
an enormous effort – a bit like rewriting the bootstrapping of Guix – and I
have no clue how to start myself with it.

Bye

Stefan