guix-devel

Re: Guix Days: Patch flow discussion

From: Steve George
Subject: Re: Guix Days: Patch flow discussion
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 21:57:10 +0000

Hi Leo,

On 05/02/2024 14:07, Leo Famulari wrote:
On Mon, Feb 5, 2024, at 04:39, Steve George wrote:
Our goal for the discussion:

        How do we double the number of patches that are *reviewed* and
        *applied* to Guix in the next six months?

Patch flow is a pipeline, to change it we could:

a. Increase the number of committers - more people to do the
work
b. Increase the efficiency of existing committers
c. Open the gates by decreasing the quality expected from patches

Hi George,

Just 'Steve' :-)

It's an important subject and, in my opinion, more important than any technical
questions at this stage of the project.

However, I think the question assumes that all contributions should be
accepted, and that the entire problem is that we are not accepting them
efficiently enough. We should not unconsciously accept this assumption.

Guix can reject contributions, either in a general way (we don't want that type
of thing in Guix), or due to specific reasons (the code is not idiomatic, the
contributor can't work effectively with the rest of the group, etc).
(...)

Today there are 1264 bugs with patches attached to them today [0].

We don't have any stats (that I'm aware of) that show how many patches the project reviews and either asks for edits, rejects or applies.

The group - and I hope the minutes reflect this - wanted to maintain the current standards. So the discussion of the pipeline focused on how we review more patches, and make decisions about them: whether that decision is to accept the contribution, ask for more work, or reject it as out of scope.

To answer your comment about the 'unconscious' assumptions - my personal view is:

* I don't think ALL patches should simply be accepted
* I do think that more patches need to be reviewed and a decision made
* I believe (no evidence) the project is missing out on great contributions amongst those 1200+ patches in the tracker * I believe (no evidence) that potential contributors are put-off by the speed of review / lack of clarity

Thanks,

Steve

[0] https://debbugs.gnu.org/rrd/guix-patches.html