guix-devel

Re: GNU Hurd at Guix days

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR
Subject: Re: GNU Hurd at Guix days
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 09:33:15 +0100

Hi Pjotr,

Quoting pjotr.public12@thebird.nl (2024-02-06 08:48:56)
> We had a very interesting discussion about the Hurd.

Very interesting, indeed! 10+ persons in a room talking about Hurd!
I guess that hadn’t happened in a long time! 😉

On my side, I decided to start patching broken packages… again! [1]

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/software//hurd/user/tlecarrour.html

First thing yesterday morning, I set up a ChildHurd and try to offload
build to it and… it worked! 😎

Unfortunately, the default image seems to be to small to build "real"
packages. I increased it, but… then my real disk was suddenly too small!
This is a problem that came up multiple times while discussing with
Simon… so I decided to upgrade my disk… and I now have to re-install
—I miserably failed my attempt at cross-installing and ended up with a
brick! 😱—, so I thought "why not use the latest installer?" [2].

[2]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2024-02/msg00068.html

I also have to figure out what’s the proper way to hack with this set up.
Probably a mixture of `build --system`, `build --source`, `diff -purN`,
`--with-patch=`…
So, I guess, you’ll hear from me soon! 😁

Regards,

--
Tanguy