guix-devel

Re: Non-bootstrappable NPM packages

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: Non-bootstrappable NPM packages
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 20:11:16 -0600

Heyo,

Nicolas Graves <ngraves@ngraves.fr> writes:

> Did someone made some progress on the build-system since that to allow
> for this to be taken into account? If you still have it, could you share
> your "fiio" packages once again? The paste link is expired. Thanks!

To my knowledge (it’s two years old now, so maybe others have made
progress since then), the best work on bootstrapping TypeScript in Guix
is singpolyma’s work here:

https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus/tree/master/item/guixrus/packages/javascript/typescript.scm

There are dozens of JS packages there.  These along with esbuild are
used to build TypeScript.  Everything is built from source (at least
that’s what I remember singpolyma telling me, and it looks like it from
a cursory glance), but no tests are run.  It’s still a mountain of work
to get those packages up to Guix standards, but the fundamentals are
sorted.  It’s a very promising approach; it just needs someone to carry
it across the finish line.

-- Tim