guix-devel

Re: [RFC] proposal for refactoring bootloaders

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: [RFC] proposal for refactoring bootloaders
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:18:14 +0200

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 02:33:02AM -0600, Lilah Tascheter wrote:
> one more quick change that I've realized will be necessary: add a
> bootloader-targets field to boot-parameters. some bootloaders would
> need target info to know where to install config files, and
> reinstall-bootloader doesn't have access to the operating-system
> record. rollbacks to generations pre-field addition shouldn't be an
> issue with this either, as existing bootloaders (sans depthcharge?) do
> just fine without targets.
>
> all in all, bootloader-installer and bootloader-config-file-installer
> would be procedures that return gexps, with the following signatures:
>
> * (installer entries #:key bootcfg mount-offset generation old-entries
>    store-crypto-devices store-directory-prefix locale)
> * (config-file-installer entries #:key package targets mount-offset
>    generation old-entries store-crypto-devices store-directory-prefix
>    locale)
>
> mount-offset is the current target, and old-entries becomes an alist with
> generation numbers.

The current bootloader system started as grub only and then grew more
capabilities for other things too.  It should be possible to flash
u-boot separately and then use grub-efi (or something like it) but it's
not currently supported out of the box.  I look forward to seeing how
this might look.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא