guix-devel

Re: cannot boot after installation on VPS (via rescue system)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: cannot boot after installation on VPS (via rescue system)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 08:16:28 +0100

Hi Joshua!

jbranso@dismail.de writes:

[...]

>> Now I'm trying to use it on two VPS from two different vendors, booted
>> in rescue mode, but after the installation (via bootstrap-guix.sh) when
>> I reboot the VPS I get the usual grub menu but the boot process suddenly
>> fails with this error (manually copied from web console, sorry for
>> possible typos):
>
> I just logged into my linode server...your script defaults to a btrfs
> filesystem right?

Right, and now that you pointed to that I realized that may be not a
good idea for a QEMU virtual machine [1]: I'll switch to ext4 to be sure

> When I tried to add an additional disk in linode just now, the only
> supported filesystem was ext4.  Does linode support btrfs?

I'm not on Linode, I'm working on OVH and Hetzner VPSs

Anyway I don't think that the boot issue is connected with BTRFS, but
I'll investigate!

Thank you! Gio'

[...]

[1] I don't know the host filesystem but if it's BTRFS, placing a COW
(qcow2) filesystem on top of another COW have a very bad performance,
see
https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system/qemu-block-drivers.html#cmdoption-qcow2-arg-nocow

--
Giovanni Biscuolo