guix-devel

Re: Guix days guix home discussion

From: Ryan Prior
Subject: Re: Guix days guix home discussion
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 17:51:19 +0000

On Sunday, March 17th, 2024 at 12:24 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> I personally try to lower the barrier for Home services, but I think few
> people (if any) beyond me review Home services.
>
> We should expand the ‘home’ team; who’s in?

I would like to contribute to Guix home, but haven't been able to get much use
out of it myself. This is a combination of two frustrations I've hit:

1. I haven't been able to use Guix Home to migrate my home config across
machines. I've done this 3 times since I started using Guix on what I would
consider advanced-level (writing Guile, defining my own packages & manifests,
contributing patches.) Each time, I've got frustrated with the applicability of
what documentation or examples I could find, and ended up migrating the bad old
way by copying config files & modifying them as needed. Guix does help me in
these migrations somewhat by allowing me to install needed software
environments in a non-disruptive way, but I haven't gotten any use out of Home
here. For reference, my attempts have been on elementary OS and Ubuntu, never
on Guix System.

2. I've desired to use Guix Home on foreign distros to run Guix services (like
Docker or Postgres) via Shepherd, but have failed to do so thus far. I read
documentation in Guix and Shepherd, and some source code. I've got Shepherd
installed & running on some of my machines, but I can't figure out how to use
it to run Guix services. Possibly I'm missing something, but I also wonder
whether perhaps Guix services are only intended to run on Guix System?

I would like to help make Guix Home & services have an excellent experience on
foreign distros. I intend to write documentation, blog posts and code to do so.
I've been stuck, though, in actually making progress understanding how to
accomplish my aims, and every time I've tried it so far I've been in enough of
a hurry that I gave up after a couple days' hacking. If anybody wants to pair
with me or lend a hand I'd be thrilled to get back to this.

Ryan