guix-devel

Re: Guix role in a free society

From: Tomas Volf
Subject: Re: Guix role in a free society
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 19:16:02 +0100

On 2024-03-18 18:48:27 +0100, Vivien Kraus wrote:
> The guix users, I claim, would rather have a distribution of guix (and
> the packages it provides) with accurate personal information, even if
> it means to be annoyed for a moment with a security system.

Single data point: As a Guix user (and occasional contributor, albeit not a
committer), I would very much prefer a system that does not rewrite the history.
When someone wants to correct their name (for whatever reason), I would prefer
it to be done going forward, not retroactively.

I think making such broad statements without some empirical study is not great,
since it is, as you said yourself, just your claim not supported by anything (as
far as I can tell).

Tomas Volf

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.