guix-devel

Re: Emacs and Gnome branches are merged now

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Emacs and Gnome branches are merged now
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 16:42:39 +0100

Am Samstag, dem 30.03.2024 um 14:20 +0000 schrieb Christopher Baines:
> I think the last merge of master in to gnome-team was pushed on the
> 20th of March, with the merge of gnome-team in to master being pushed
> today on the 30th.
Good catch, I should have merged to gnome-team first and then merge to
master.

> Looking at those dates, it seems like bringing changes from master in
> to branches more frequently, or at least just before considering
> whether it's ready to merge (and merging if it is) would help to
> avoid this.
I did try to do weekly merges in the other direction, but it wasn't
always so disciplined about them.  Perhaps we should have a tighter
process for merging, so that things don't get out of hand?  Maybe
document things in the manual as well?

> 10 days is a long window in which changes can be pushed to master. QA
> is meant to pick up when a branch has diverged from master, but the
> mechanism is crude and the threshold it was using was very high. I've
> now reduced it [1] so QA might warn in the future about this
> situation.
Good catch, that ought to encourage more pre-merge thinking.

> While I don't think it's directly relevant, I think it's worth noting
> that both changes mentioned above (usbutils and psmisc), we didn't
> follow our own guidance on managing patches. psmisc affects more than
> 300 dependent packages, and while I think that's less of an issue if
> changes go through QA, I don't think either of these changes did.
We don't even do this for webkit, which is a very annoying nuisance
even if justified by its security nature.  That's why we have grafts!

Cheers