guix-devel

Re: The `channels' field of `operating-system' record

From: Marek Paśnikowski
Subject: Re: The `channels' field of `operating-system' record
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 06:16:12 +0200

09.04.2024 06:06:00 CEST Nathan Dehnel:
> I don't think you're supposed to edit /etc/guix/channels.scm directly,
> I think it's generated by guix system reconfigure.
> https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix/-/issues/33
> I have ~/.config/guix/channels.scm generated by putting
> home-channels-service-type in my guix home config.

Now that you mentioned it — is this not root user’s channel list, and
one is not supposed to use guix as root?

I use home-channels-service-type and the only issue with this solution
is that it requires a 'guix home reconfigure' before the new channels
can be used in 'guix pull'.  Though one could also use the -C flag to
a channels.scm file including the list of channels.