guix-europe

Re: Guix Foundation website

From: Timo Wilken
Subject: Re: Guix Foundation website
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 22:44:26 +0200

Hi Andreas, hi all,

On Sun Jun 11, 2023 at 1:44 PM CEST, Andreas Enge wrote:
> yesterday at the GA we discussed a bit about our website, and at least
> one volunteer has stepped up to help maintain it. I am definitely happy
> to pass on responsibility!

Haha, I guess that'll be me. I hope I haven't set expectations too high -- I
can make a few changes to the site, but if anyone else wants to have a go, I
won't stop you! :)

> Right now it is hosted at
>    https://framagit.org/guix-europe/guix-europe

Thanks for the link!

> which is a bit inconvenient: It requires to sign up with Framagit, which
> takes a few days due to the need for manual account approval to fight
> spam accounts. But you can already clone the repository and send me
> patches by mail. And then I currently sync it to my own server to host
>    http://foundation.guix.info/
> (without TLS). Simon is supposed to look into this hosting part soon.

I'd say the lack of TLS is the biggest issue with the website at the moment.
IceCat (with "HTTPS-only mode" enabled) keeps redirecting me to https://...
and showing me the contents of https://www.multiprecision.org/mpc/ instead!

> The website itself is based on haunt, which looks quite compatible
> with Guix. And it uses the Bootstrap CSS/Javascript framework.
> But I have used the static site template I wrote for my own sites, which
> is a bit quirky: The structure of the website is coded into the variable
> ge-sitemap in haunt.scm, but then it is also reflected in the file
> structure inside the posts/ subdirectory; so information is duplicated
> and needs to be kept in sync (which may not be a big problem, as it only
> plays a role when adding or removing pages). So if someone wishes to take
> over, I will not be offended if they change how the content is served!

I've just been playing around with haunt, and it seems pretty pleasant!

If I find some time this week or next, I'll send you some patches. I'll Cc:
guix-europe@gnu.org for anything major so anyone interested can give feedback.

> And of course it will be easy to improve the visuals, and to add new
> content. For instance I thought it would be nice to have "real time"
> accounting by including the result of
>    ledger -f ../accounting/accounting.ledger balance
> into some page under the "Assets" menu.

Simon mentioned hledger (which I also use). We could run hledger-web (packaged
in Guix!) on the same machine as the webserver, and add a proxy rule to
Apache/nginx, e.g. to proxy /ledger to localhost:5000. Then run:

hledger-web --serve --capabilities=view -I -f .../accounting.ledger \
  --base-url=http://foundation.guix.info/ledger

...and that's it! That would give anyone a read-only view of the ledger file
with searching/filtering capability and a couple of charts. hleger-web would
reload the ledger file automatically as far as I know, so no need to restart
it on each git push.

Let me know if that'd be of interest.

Cheers,
Timo