guix-science

Re: Introducing Guix to HPC at my institution

From: Sébastien Lerique
Subject: Re: Introducing Guix to HPC at my institution
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:21:22 +0900

Hi Ludo,

On 11 Apr 2021 at 05:43, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

If, instead of resarting from scratch, I just run again `guix install
hello --no-offload`, I then get:

 guix install: error: got unexpected path
 `/gnu/store/pwcp239kjf7lnj5i4lkdzcfcxwcfyk72-bash-minimal-5.0.16/bin/bash:
warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.utf8)' from
substituter

I (re-)fixed this particular problem here:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/46362

So if you create a pack containing the ‘guix’ package from current
master, this problem should no longer be there.

Success! With substitutes:

 $ guix install hello --no-offload
 [... installs ...]
 $ GUIX_PROFILE="/home/s/sebastien-lerique/.guix-profile"
 $ . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
 $ hello
 Hello, world!

Then my next steps are to try out a few more things, see if some builds work (based on existing substitutes, not from scratch), gather some interest here now that I can demo, and then come back to explore builtin support for a non-root shared build daemon.

Thank you!!
Sébastien