gwm-general

[Gwm-general] usual

From: Sibil Chandler
Subject: [Gwm-general] usual
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:51:58 +0300

We came down the trail to avoid a horde of green men, I replied.
Probably somebody who would love nothing better than to slit ourthroats, I said. Thistime Nolat did not smile nor sneer, and he had no nasty remarks to maketo me. Before I was to be taken to the slaves quarters of the palace, Xaxakquestioned me.
Is this the sword that was issued to the slave, Dotar Sojat? He admiredmy swordsmanship, and used to brag about it to the other warriors. If the silly examination they gave us is any criterion, said Llana,they are all mad. The beast screamed, ran a few feet, staggered and fell, while the restof the herd galloped off.
I had nothing to miss, I replied, except my harness and weapons, andI am wearing them now.
Perhaps they wanted to find out if they could scare us to death,suggested Pan Dan Chee. It is not for that alone, explained Jad-han. You have nothing to be ashamed of, Ptang, I told him.
Do anyof you think that you could do better than Ptang did? You can imagine thatalmost any country would wish to possess it. You can imagine thatalmost any country would wish to possess it.
Many more must have pitched to the foot of the cliff.
I was quartered in the barracks of hispersonal guard, where I was treated as an equal.
We saw gameanimals down there, too, and we who had been so long without good meatwere tempted.
I had nothing to miss, I replied, except my harness and weapons, andI am wearing them now. Among the blacks, we saw a number ofred men performing menial tasks.
They took that same examination; that is why they lie dead out there. Before I was to be taken to the slaves quarters of the palace, Xaxakquestioned me.
Is this the sword that was issued to the slave, Dotar Sojat? Did you see the dead men as you enteredthe valley? Hadnt we better stop, I asked Xaxak, before your man bleeds todeath? The next morning I told Ptang about my nocturnal visitor. Ptang was one of the most surprised and crestfallen men I have everseen.
For the girl- He looked sorrowfully at Llana and shookhis head; he did not need to say more.
We came down the trail to avoid a horde of green men, I replied. I am sure I havent the slightest idea of what the explanation canbe, I replied.
Before he realized what was happening, I had pricked him in theshoulder.
That is all, said the officer in charge; the examination is over.
Then I shall demandodds; as I did not desire my man to fight to the death the first timehe fought. That is the only way in which I can tell whether he is any good atall, or not, replied Xaxak.
I see you survived the examination, I said.
There is a small colonyof them that has survived in a deserted Orovar city.