gwm-general

[Gwm-general] mint

From: Joanna Meeks
Subject: [Gwm-general] mint
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 00:53:05 +0200

I too was orderedto the almighty presence.
No, with soap, corrected the sergeant seriously.
But nothing was said as to what was to be done if the stranger didreply. Their next train meanthospital and death. Genuine feeling was unknown in the Legion. What an ordinary soldier was supposed to do to satisfy his physicaldesires seemed to me a problem. These and similar propositions were made to me by the dozen. Andthe plain is treeless like the Campagna. As this was the only photographer in thetown there was nothing to do about it.
No return to barracks was madefor a little thing like that.
Why didnt you go to the exercises to-day?
As this was the only photographer in thetown there was nothing to do about it.
The Germans in the Legion were a disloyal lot. He received no medicines, no reprieve from duties orexercises, just as if he were well. The Arab baths were always full, the French baths mostly empty. Only the five and ten-francbills were really safe; they were Algerian Government notes.
It depended on himself and the goodwill of thesergeant.
The sergeantwould come first, and then an officer for the inspection.
And yet thesepeople were indescribably rude to the soldiers. The murdered man is buried, the murderer must notbe found out.
No questionswere supposed to be asked, and, if asked, the answers were notexpected to be truthful.
The little Corsican corporal made love to awidow who had a beautiful daughter. They will tryto get everything you have away from you. Only the five and ten-francbills were really safe; they were Algerian Government notes. Weheard later he was condemned to only fifteen days prison, but wenever saw him again.
After he had been in the Legion sometime he fell ill, was taken to the hospital, and died.
There was no small coin in circulation; chits, issued by differenttradespeople, took its place.