help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: Texinfo

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: Texinfo
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:00:42 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Martijn van Manen wrote:

> I'm working on it, but indeed, I have a lot of other things to
> do.

Please don't think I'm trying to pressure you.  I appreciate your help
in any case.

> As for the copyright problem, I asked a friend, who is the classpath
> maintainer, what is best in this case. Give me a few days, and I'll come
> up with more documentation. And I'll find a satisfying answer to the
> copyright question.

I can use your explanations whether you assign copyright or not.  However,
if you do not, you needn't bother to format them, since I'll have to
reformulate them in my own words anyway.

> As for the texinfo, I felt a need to use @math to assure that all comes out
> well,  with makeinfo , makeinfo --html and texi2dvi.

I use address@hidden', too.  I merely wanted to point out that it has certain
limitations, and some things in your draft didn't work, such as `\lambda'.
You might be able to fix it by using `@' instead of `\', but I haven't
been using Texinfo too much lately and don't have the details fresh in my
mind.

> I use:
> makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.6
> This is off the Debian testing distribution, or unstable, dunno.
> But I'll try to follow your comments.

I only use `texi2dvi' until I'm ready to work on the final
draft.  It's also a lot easier, because `texi2dvi' generates headings and
menus itself, so the input files are easier to edit.  I would prefer that
people use the PostScript (or PDF) version,
because of the TeX formatting, but the HTML version is probably more
popular.  I don't know if anyone uses the Info version, except me,
occasionally.

Laurence