help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: Polyhedra and ellipses

From: Martijn van Manen
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: Polyhedra and ellipses
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:31:55 -0500

Hi Laurence,

I'll try to answer some of your questions in another
installment. What I would like to say though is that the
number of fun and exciting polyhedra is rather endless.
I'll make some selection. Ofcourse there are "smart" methods
of finding the vertices and the edges and so on.
Those mathematicians in the nineteenth century produced
formula after formula. There are endless and sometimes
pointless calculations.
What you should maybe figure out is how to construct a nice
data structure for them, so that afterwards you can traverse it
and find intersections with lines and planes. The people in
computational geometry love the "doubly connected edge list".
You might want to implement it.
For the tangencies of two ellipses, or two quadrics, I'll
give you some methods too.

GRTZ,

Martijn