help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Fwd: Re: Helices. Was: problems installing

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Fwd: Re: Helices. Was: problems installing
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 21:01:39 +0200

------ Forwarded message -------

From: J.E.
To: Laurence Finston
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:55:36 +0200

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 17:34, you wrote:
> > I going to make illustrations of "multi level" helical structures,
> > i.e. helical structures where each component is a helical structure
> > by itself.
>
> You'll have to use 'paths' then, and make sure you use enough 'points'
> on them to avoid distortion in the projection.  If you tell me what
> parameters you need, I might be able to implement a 'Helix' class and a
> 'helix' type to support this directly.  I don't have much time to work
> on '3DLDF' at the moment, but if it's not too much work, I could try
> to fit it in.

Hello again, and thank you for your help so far.
The structure I would like to illustrate consists of helical components
on several levels. Consider a thread that is wrapped helically around a
core. The space curve of the thread is defined by a helical radius and a lay
angle. The helical radius is the distance from the center of the core to the
thread and the lay angle defines the helix. Zero lay angle means that the
thread would not be wrapped around the core but instead it would be parallel
to the core. The core can be straight or curved.

Now, consider another thread that is wrapped helically around the first
thread. This is what I refer to as the second helical level. Once again, the
space curve of the second level helix is defined by a helical radius and a lay
angle. This time the radius is taken relative to the first thread.

There can also exist a third and fourth level and so on...

If such multi level structures could be created easily in 3dldf, it would
allow me to build up illustrations of electrical cables. These are built up
from copper wires and tube shaped insulation materials arranged in this
kind of multi level helices.

What do you think, would this be possible?

Best regards,
J.E.